It’s 2013! Happy New Year my friends. I hope your first 15 days have been exciting. I’ve been writing which explains my silence recently. I’ve been working on the rewrite of the workshop. Some parts of the January and February entries will be republished on the blog in the near future to correct some of the errors that appear in the text. I’ve also been working on my screenplay which is my 2013 resolution.
Find and attempt to sell a completed screenplay before the end of 2013.
This is a huge commitment for this year but I know I can do it. It’s just a matter of focusing on the story and getting it written. Of course I’ll post updates from time to time as well. What will be the most fun is attempting to get the screenplay sold (or optioned). Notice how I said that I will attempt to sell since it is very rare that a first screenplay is sold. While I’ve written well over a dozen screenplay over the last 20 years, they have all been as a hobby rather than as a profession. This will be the first screenplay that will be sent out in the world to find a new owner.
Also, in other news, the nominations of the First Annual Canadian Screen Awards. This new award replaces the Genie and Gemini Awards. This year the CTV produced TV show FLASHPOINT leads with 11 nominations. It is a great show and I highly recommend it. On the film side the nominations for Best Picture include;
- “L’Affaire Dumont” Nicole Robert
- “Inch’Allah” Luc Déry, Kim McCraw
- “Laurence Anyways” Lyse Lafontaine
- “Midnight’s Children” David Hamilton
- “Rebelle / War Witch” Pierre Even, Marie-Claude Poulin
- “Still Mine” Tamara Deverell, Jody Colero, Avi Federgreen, Michael McGowan
As a note, Rebelle (War Witch) is also nominated for an Academy Award for Best Foreign Film. Since this is a writing blog, let’s take a look at the nominations for Best Screenplay.
- Jason Buxton for “Blackbird”
- Xavier Dolan for “Laurence Anyways”
- Kim Nguyen for “Rebelle / War Witch”
- Michael Mcgowan for “Still Mine”
- Bernard Émond for “Tout Ce Que Tu Possèdes / All That You Possess”
The Canadian Screen Awards air on CBC with a 2-hour special on March 3, 2013. I look forward to watching this awards show as it promises to be very entertaining and great to see amazing Canadian talent all in one place. Want to learn more visit their website.
Happy New Year and happy writing!